Finished Project: Another Floral Maxi Dress for Summer.
B6582 + M6349 + 50 centimetres = ....
When I asked "What is an appropriate dress to wear to Thanksgiving?" in an old blog post, Oona said "I'd make THIS for turkey day" - referring to the floral M5845 with outside darts.
Well, I kinda did. Recognise the fabric??
A wise person once told me "don't throw out leftover fabric until you finish the project" so I held on to this half a meter of cotton sateen until I completed the M5845 and like a secret squirrel I stashed it away. A few weekends ago I went shopping and found some awesome black fabric. It was labelled as "cotton" but it wasn't cotton texture I was used to. I took it to the counter and asked the girls what it was... they whipped out a light and set a piece of it on fire! I stood there pretending that I knew what they were doing. The girls came to the conclusion that it was probably rayon, rayon fuji or something... they reassurred me it was definitely breathable... definitely a natural fiber. I just wanted to know if it was still $5.40 a meter :P
I took 2 meters. Sunday arvo when I was suppose to be finishing my fishy M6349, I started playing around with the rayon. I didn't have enough for a maxi dress, but I had enough for a maxi skirt. Went diggin around my sewing room for fabric for the bodice and found my floral cotton sateen scrap, yay. And it was already pre-washed, double yay.
I always use coloured thread to sew gathering stitches so it's easy to spot and remove later.
Skirt gathered and ready to stitch to the bodice.
I used the B6582 bodice. I've only used this pattern once and have never worn the dress because of the dodgy machine stitched hem.
The skirt is from the M6349, I added half a meter to the length. This skirt pattern is like gold. I'm holding onto to it forever!
Pattern: Butterick 6582, View 3, M6349 skirt Size: 6 all the way. Fabric: 0.5m cotton sateen, leftover from an old project), 0.5m cotton lawn (bodice lining), 2m rayon (skirt) Notions: Dress zipper 18", Gutermann thread Time: approx 10 hours (3 hours to cut all fabric and construct shell, 5 hours to construct lining, skirt, bag bodice, gather skirt.. 1 hour-ish to handpick zip and machine hem) Cost: Fabric $10 (skirt), Lining $3, Zipper $2. Cheapest dress ever. Pattern Modification/Adjustments:
Fully lined the bodice instead of facings for the bodice
Replaced skirt with a maxi skirt (using lengthened skirt pattern of M6349)
I interfaced the zip SA, it stabilized the rayon so there was no warping or wiggling when I was installing the zip. Gosh I love handpicking!
I will go up a size next time to an 8 (possibly 10 at the waist). Despite the finished measurements being bigger than my measurements, it's a little restrictive across the bust and back.
This was my first Thanksgiving, and I loved it! Food, and wine... hehe.
Even though we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia, I watch an unhealthy amount of Gossip Girl a lot of American TV shows so I knew what to expect - giant turkey, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie... it was a lovely lunch.
Wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving this Thursday. I can't wait to stalk '#Thanksgiving' on Instagram to see all your delicious food and sexy table settings!