Isn't this the most amazing fabric?
This post would have been up a lot sooner, but I got distracted... started working on a new dress for Thanksgiving. I think I'm up to my third "dress for Thanksgiving"... keep changing my mind!! Can't decide on what to wear this Saturday when I meet my BF's dad and wife for the first time. Yikes. Super excited about turkey though.
As with all patterns, the second time round is always more enjoyable, after all the fitting issues are identified and fixed.
In my case, it was the back. I must have a small back cos on my floral maxi version, I had a 4cm SA at the top, grading out to 1.5cm SA at the waist.
Trying to be proactive, I made adjustment to the pattern piece. Only one problem - I forgot about the SA and took a 4cm chunk out of the back bodice piece. Didn't realise this till I stitch the shell and underlining together. I managed to save it by unpicking the back seams (not side seams because they had boning) and restitching with a 0.75cm SA. Crisis averted. Considering how average I am at maths.. it was a good save!
My other problem area is the bust. Haven't opened the SBA can of worms yet so lets move on.
No complaints with this pattern, all the pieces came together swimmingly (see what I did there??). I didn't have to refer to the instructions as the construction was pretty straight forward. Oops, I lied. I did refer to instructions, just for piece 13 when I was working on the muslin. Bloody piece 13. Confusing as.
But I figured it out! The problem with my muslin was the interfacing, it made the fabric too stiff so the ruching didn't sit against the underlining. On this version, I didn't interface piece 13.
Instead of spreading the gathering down the entire centre front seam, I kept the gathering at the top around the bust area to give the bust some much needed oomph.
Pattern Pieces used: 7 (bodice front lining), 8 (bodice side front lining ), 13 (bodice front) 16 (bodice back), 17 (bodice side back), 19 (skirt back), 21 (skirt front)
Zipper $2, Grosgrain Ribbon $2, Bikini hook $1
|I love Japanese Cotton Lawn, can I marry you??? Fantastic to work with!|
Excuse the fugly overlocking, my overlocker was doing naughty things.
I had leftover fabric so I cut out a second bodice, was planning to use it as lining (self-lined) but the Japanese Lawn underlining turned out so beautifully that I used that for the lining too. In the coming months, there will be another fishy 6349 on this blog and in my wardrobe.
This is such a great pattern. Highly recommend it to everyone, old or young, novice or advanced. This pattern is super quick and easy to construct (it's the cutting and interfacing that takes time).
If you want a challenge, you can add bust cups and padding like I did last time or make this in a nice rayon, viscose or silk!
Can't wait to smash out another one!!